We are well into 2019 and I’m keeping on track with my intentions for this year. One of them involves eating with intention rather than dieting or depriving myself of certain foods. I was turned onto this subject by a fellow blogger and love the concept it creates around the relationship we have with eating. It teaches you to eat with a balanced mindset and to view your food as a way to fuel your body and mind so that you are the healthiest, best version of yourself.
I partnered with Farmer John to bring you three simple, no cook recipes are that healthy lunch choices and ready in under 10 minutes! I usually find these quick recipes on Pinterest and then tweak them to add in my own ingredients and foods that my family will enjoy. I chose to use Farmer John Lunchmeat since it is packed with protein and delicious flavor. You can substitute any of their lunch meats for the original ham that I used below, like their Smoked Ham or Black Forest Ham for a bigger flavor.
Farmer John products are available at local grocery stores including Smart & Final, Stater Brothers, Albertsons, Ralphs, Northgate and my second home, Target. If you’re looking for a family-friendly weekend activity, join Farmer John on Sunday, February 17th at the 41st Annual L.A. Chinatown Firecracker Run/Walk & Kiddie Run. It is an event held to promote health, fitness and cultural awareness in the greater Los Angeles community. Farmer John will be serving up their delicious new breakfast sausage links at the finish line. For more information and to register, visit Firecracker10k.org.
Recipe: Ham Cucumber Rolls
Farmer John Classic Ham
1 Large Cucumber
Pesto (or you can use hummus, ranch, etc.)
Cheese of choice
Red Bell Pepper
Salt and Pepper
- Peel thin strips of cucumber with a vegetable peeler. The strips need to be thick enough to hold the fixings in the middle of the roll, but you need to ensure they are thin enough to roll.
- Lay strips out on wax paper and spread pesto over each one (you can also substitute pesto for hummus, or mustard).
- Layer cheese, spinach, carrot strips and bell peppers over each cucumber slice.
- Top with Farmer John ham slices.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Roll each cucumber slice and secure with a toothpick (depending on the thickness of the roll, you may need more than one or two toothpicks to secure them.)
Farmer John Classic Ham
Hard Boiled Egg
- Rinse lettuce and finely chop lettuce leaves
- Roll 4-5 Farmer John ham slices and cut into 2 inch sections.
- Dice grape tomatoes, hard boiled egg, avocado and red onion.
- Fill salad bowl with lettuce.
- Layer each topping side by side.
- Mix together 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice with 1/4 cup olive oil to make a healthy salad dressing.
Recipe: Ham Kabob Sticks
Farmer John Classic Ham t
Wooden Kabob Sticks or Large Toothpicks
- Roll Farmer John ham slices and cut into 2 inch sections.
- Cut lettuce into small sections.
- Thread ham sections onto wooden stick, followed by cheese, lettuce and other vegetables in an alternating fashion.
For more product information and recipe inspiration, visit www.FarmerJohn.com.