I know I’m not alone when I have that “UGH” moment after a long day at work when I’ve just arrived home and I’m about to let out a sigh of relief when I can finally put on my comfy clothes and let the stress of the day fade away BUT then I remember that I haven’t made a plan for dinner yet. The worst. Exacerbated by the hungry faces asking me what’s for dinner.
This is usually when my savvy mom skills kick into gear and I get creative with stuff that’s in the fridge, however, one of these instances has led to one of my favorite meals that’s perfect for when you’re busy with returning back to work after the holidays and still wanting to stay true to the cutting back on takeout and unhealthy foods resolution.
Cue: A Busy Mom’s Extra Green Pesto Pasta!
SO easy! So realistic after a busy day! With the help of some go-to grocery store items, this dish is ready in the amount of time it takes to boil some pasta.
1 package of pasta (Willow loves bowtie but any work!)
1 jar of pesto sauce (my favorite is from Trader Joe’s)
1 handful of fresh cherry tomatoes (feel free to add in more! They’re extra sweet and juicy after being warmed from the pasta!)
1 bag of spring lettuce mix
3 tablespoons of salt (for boiling water)
Half a lemon
Parmesan cheese & favorite Italian spices to taste
- Bring pot of water + 3 tablespoons of salt to a boil
- Throw in pasta & follow cooking instructions on bag
- In the meantime, cut cherry tomatoes in halves
- When pasta is al dente, strain and place back in the pot
- Add pesto and Italian spices to pot of pasta
- Add fresh cherry tomatoes and squeeze lemon juice on pasta
- Stir! (This is the hardest step ;))
- Serve on a bed of fresh spring mix lettuce and add parmesan if you’re inclined for some cheese
- Enjoy the happy faces and well fed family!