One of the first questions I get as a dermatology nurse is when do I need to start caring from my skin and what treatments do you use??
My answer… it is never too early to work on your skin care game and we shouldn’t even begin talking about treatments until we get your every day skin care products in check! The truth is we start aging as early as our 20’s and your skin’s repair mechanisms actually start slowing down around age 25. So the point is we could all use a little help so that we look damn good through the decades…right? Since facts don’t lie what you are putting on your skin now will determine how it looks later on. So NOW is the time to invest in anti-aging treatments, but that doesn’t mean it has to break the bank!
I’ve partnered with La La Daisy, a site that brings you the products you love for a fraction of the cost. They carry a multitude of high end skin, hair and makeup products at no additional mark up. I’m talking all the same products you would find at Sephora, Ulta or the Dermstore for less! This is the perfect starting point for stocking your skin care product arsenal! Use code Thechicmamas for 15% off your order!
Now let’s get down to the crucial tid bits you want to know! Here are my tried and true skin care tips for anti-aging!
- Always wash your face morning and night, even in between if you do something like hit the gym. Going without washing your face leads to sweat, makeup, and oil clogging yoru pores. This leads to dilated pores and a dull appearance to your skin. Unless you need a medicated wash for acne, find a gentle cleanser.
- Eye creams are a must! The skin around the eye area often is one of the first places to show age. Right now I am loving this Elastiderm Eye Cream.
- Find a serum that helps accelerates cellular turnover and thus aid in anti-aging. Serums that contain retinol to regenerate the skin and vitamin C to help moisturize and fight free radicals. I always ensure my face is damp prior to adding serum and I add water to my fingers before pumping out the product.
- SPF… the skin care product of all skin care products. You will always need to apply sun screen every morning. I have so many patients that I am treating for sun spots all along the left side of their faces or their “driver’s side”. They never thought they needed sunscreen while driving in the car!! SPF should be your BFF.
- Find a great moisturizer and then boost it with some hyaluronic acid (as long as you are not acne prone). Hyaluronic acid is a big drink of water for your skin and will boost your moisturizer while protecting your skin’s barrier!
- Remember your hands, neck, and chest need love too! I apply most of my skin care products to all of these areas as well! They need SPF too!